Top Retirement Destination
Malaysia is regarded as one of the top retirement destination in the world. Specifically, there are a few places in Malaysia that retirees choose to stay. It checks all the boxes that retirees are looking for.
- Great weather
- Friendly locals who are more than happy to welcome you to their community
- Low cost of living
- Excellent healthcare (medical tourism is one of the important industry in Malaysia)
- Affordable housing (renting is cheap) and if you buy, you own the property outright (without going through any proxies)
- No language problem. English is widely used, spoken and understood. Mandarin is also widely used and understood.
- Great food
- Political and economic stability
- Low crime (especially violent crime)
- Good infrastructures like transportation and communication
- Arts and culture are part of the live and heritage of this nation
Malaysia also attracts a lot of the younger generation who works off the internet or expatriates posted to Asia.
- Penang is the place that all the retirement magazines, websites and publications point to as the best place to retire to. You have it all here including the fact that you can buy a heritage house in Georgetown, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Penang is home to many MM2H participants. If offers a truly fascinating and great culinary experience, probably the best in Asia and it is also a great place for raising a family. It has 9 international schools and 4 private Chinese schools which offer UEC syllabus.
- Langkawi is one of the best places for “boaties” This island has a lot of boating facilities like marina, repairs and other yachting related services. Life is very slow here and it is also home to many retirees.
- Kuala Lumpur attracts the younger set of people. It is a place with great nightlife but it suffers from the ills of large cities.
- Malacca is also a place where some foreigners choose to stay. Interesting historically and affordable housing as well. Medical facilities wise, it is not as good as Penang or Kuala Lumpur.
- Johor Bahru is the preferred place for Singaporeans as Johor is still across the Straits of Johor. However, for Singaporeans, Penang is becoming a choice destination as flights from Singapore are cheap.
- Kota Kinabalu and Kuching are also popular but they have slightly different version of MM2H in which you need to inquire in Sabah and Sarawak.
Many magazines, online or with prints like International Living, Huffington Post, CNN, BBC, Forbes and many other smaller publishers have listed Penang has one of the top places to retire.
Just do a Google search for Penang like in the following link, https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=top+countries+to+retire+penang you will see many links on how great Penang is.
International Living placed Penang on the 4th after Ecuador, Panama and Mexico for the best countries to retire in 2015.
International Living placed Penang on the 5th after Panama, Ecuador Mexico and Costa Ricafor the best countries to retire in 2016.
To read more about the details on Penang at International Living, please click on https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=international+living+penang
Penang has been on the top 5 list since 2011
International Living has also placed Malaysia in 2014 and 2015 as the country with the healthcare index (cost, quality, etc) ahead of France, Uruguay in 2014 and Costa Rica and Uruguay in 2015.